Friday, November 5, 2010

Quilted Coasters

I can't say enough how easy these are!!!!  Hoping that you think so too when you view this tutorial!  I am thinking of making holiday sets.  Make a set and tie up with a ribbon.  Voile!  A hand made gift that keeps on giving!

For this project, I had a bunch of scrap pieces of fabric from my window treatments,  birdhouse quilt, and pillow in my studio.  








TUTORIAL


 Supplies
Sewing Machine
Walking Foot preferred
Iron & Ironing Board
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
4 1/2 square ruler (optional)
Straight pins

Materials
4 1/2 inches x 10 inches piece of fabric for each coaster
Batting
Cotton thread that blends with the fabrics

Directions


Step One:  Cut fabric.  Each coaster should be 4 1/2 inches x 10 inch pieces. 

Step Two: Cut Batting.  Each coaster needs a 4 inch square of batting.

Step Two:  Fold the fabric in half, right sides together to form a 4 1/2 inch x 5 inch rectangle.

Step Three:  Sew the 5 inch sides, so you have an opening at the end of the rectangle.

Step Four:  Trim corners, and turn the fabric right side out.
Step Five: Tuck the batting in between the two layers.  The first time was a bit tricky, but since I used a low-loft batting, so it seemed to lay flat easily.  Each time I did another, it became easier and easier! 
Step Six: Fold the coaster's open ends in.  Make sure that your coaster is 4 inches square.  Iron the end to keep the end secure.

Step Seven:  Pin the end.

Step Eight: Attach your walking foot on to your machine if you have one.  A normal foot is possible, but be prepared for possible snagging in your bobbin area because of the layers.
Step Nine:  Start sewing at the pressed/pinned open edge of the coaster.   Start at approximately 1/8 inch from the edge.  Make sure you backstitch to secure your work!

Step Ten:  Sew to the bottom edge of the coaster and stop approximately 1/8 inch from the edge.

Step Eleven:  Make sure your you put your needle in the down position.  I am lucky to have the ability to preset my machine to always stop at a needle down position.  *If you don't have this option, hand turn your needle to secure the needle in the down position.

Step Twelve:  Lift the presser foot and make a 90 degree turn.  Lower the presser foot and continue sewing 1/8 inch away from the edge until you reach the next edge.  Again, stop approximately 1/8 inch away from the edge.

Step Thirteen:  Again, keep the needle down, lift the presser foot, and turn your coaster 90 degrees.  When you reach a point where you are meeting previous stitching, keep your next sewing line 1/8 inch from the sewing line next to it. (see whre my finger is pointing?)
 
You will continue this procedure until you have made concentric rectangle/squares to the center.  Make sure complete with a backstitch to secure your quilting! I don't know if you can see my thread well, but I am surprised how nice and flat the coasters out.  I have no worries that my glass might spill over from the coaster being too fluffy.






Other Ideas
Double sided:  I had some extra fabric, but not enough to make up for the length of 10 inches I needed.  I took two squares of 4 1/2 x 5 inches and sewed the two pieced fabrics to make a 4 1/2 inch x 10 inch strip.  When I folded it, I made sure that it was on the seam line where the two fabrics met.  Now I have a coaster that can be either fabric, depending on my mood!

Gift ideas:  I am thinking all of that holiday fabric I have been collecting over the years could make a nice set.  I love decorating for all the different holidays, but don't like to overdo.  I think these are a subtle way to have Easter, Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanskgiving, and Christmas make there way on our coffee tables!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot wait to hear what you have to say! Seriously! It makes my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...