Monday, November 29, 2010

Camera Strap Cover Tutorial


 I have seen some expensive straps and also needed more padding on my neck.  With my bulging discs in my neck, the weight of the camera can be a bit much.  Of course, me being "crafty", I had to make one. 

I made this last month, but wanted to see if anyone noticed. 

 I have recieved a lot of compliments and a lot of inquiries on where I purchased it.  I even asked hubby what he thought last week because he didn't say anything about it.  He said that he didn't ask, because he didn't want to know how much I paid for it! 

I told him I made it ALL with spare scrap fabrics and batting.  He REALLY liked it then!!!

TUTORIAL

Supplies:
Sewing machine
Iron & Ironing Board
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
Straight ruler (I prefer Omnigrid products)
Straight pins
Quilting/Chalk pencil
Hand needle


Materials
(1) 4 inch x 25 inch fabric of choice (I recommend you measuring your straps width and length...add seam allowance to width, and about 2 inches to length (1 inch to each end)
(1) 4 inch x 25 inch muslin piece of fabric
(2) inch x 23 inch piece of batting
Thread in coordinating color


Directions


Mark lower edge and upper edge of batting every 3 inches


Step One
Place decorative fabric face down.  Place piece of batting, centered at lower end of fabric. 
Place and align muslin fabric on top of the other two layers.

Step Two
Mark muslin fabric with chalk pencil every 3 inches on lower and upper end of batting.

Stitch every 3 inches to opposite sides of batting


Step Three:
Stitch diagonal lines every 3 inches to the opposite side of batting.  I used white thread in my bobbin so that I had white thread on my decorative fabric.  I used black thread as my upper thread in order for my lines to show a bit better for this tutorial.

Step Four:
Repeat Step Three going the opposite direction.  This will create quilted diamonds.



Diamonds seen on Muslin side




Diamonds seen on Decorative Fabric side


Step Five:
Fold the fabric length wise, with decorative fabric on the inside.  Pin and sew along making a "tube".


Sew along seam allowance (I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance)
 Step Six:
Turn Tube inside out!  Always tricky,  but I love using a safety pin and pull it through!

Turning your tube inside out!
Step Six:
Slide strap through the cover.  Ensure that the quilted side is on the "bottom" side (the side where the strap will be on your neck)


Pull strap through.  Quilted side down!
Step Seven:
Remember that extra inch on each end.  Make sure the strap is aligned with the excess even on both sides. 

Step Eight:
Fold excess under and hand sew the end of the cover to the strap.  I sewed through the cover and the strap to the other side.  I used very small stitches to make it neat.



Hand stitch the ends.  Secure straps to camera. 

Step Nine:
Secure your strap back on your camera.  Make sure it is on correctly so that the quilted side lies on your neck and that it won't fall on the ground off your strap!!

POINT, SHOOT, and ENJOY!!!!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. Heidi,
    I do not as yet have a wholesaler yet. I plan to get one though. BTW, I'm using base elements which are the pendant and bezel all in one. It seemed easier to do it that way. I know that you can get bezels like 8-10 to a package for not too much $$.

    Also, I just read a little of your blog. I am so very sorry about Jamie. She was beautiful. Also, congratulations on your rainbow. I thought you explained that beautifully and would love to share that with someone who only tonight asked me what a rainbow baby was.

    I have a very dear friend who also lost her son Wyatt to TD. Her name is Danielle.

    Feel free to contact me again. I would love to get to know you. I am always happy to meet other moms of babies gone too soon. And it's a bonus that you are crafty! I'm always looking to expand my crafts and your sharing may just help with that!

    ReplyDelete

I cannot wait to hear what you have to say! Seriously! It makes my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...